Sunday, October 16, 2005

What Are You Looking At?

(Or, as the English major in me prompts me to say, "At what are you looking?" )

I put some work into getting some new photos onto flickr this week. There are even some new ones I processed and uploaded today, because I am just that diligent. Some of the freshly uploaded images are from the past, and some are recent; I'll let you guess which are which, as the photos I took with film (film! how quaint!) do not have an accurate "taken on" date. I've also updated my sets so that it's a little easier to browse. I feel like the full photostream is just a jumble of images, and it's a little overwhelming. So if you've got some time on your hands and an inclination to look at some new (and old) photos, head on over.

4 comments:

markbe said...

it's ok, Mary. i believe that sentences ending in prepositions are now acceptable within the pale of proper grammar. for the record, i still try to compose my sentences without them, but will still end with a preposition if nothing else *feels* right.

marymuses said...

While they may be acceptable, I still feel guilty occasionally; I know how much my education cost, and I should be making use of at least some part of it. Of course, my errant capitalization and all the extra commas I throw in don't bother me at all. It's just the prepositions. Split infinitives? Never mind. Verb tenses all wonked out? No problem. But the prepositions--they haunt me.

Shepcat said...

My take has always been that, once you know the rules of language with absolute certainty, you are then welcome to bend them with absolute impunity. I'm a grammar gladiator when it matters (i.e., when I'm occupying the moral high ground against someone who couldn't write his or her way out of a paper bag, or rather, daily), but you needn't let the rules get in the way of your authorial voice.

And Mark's right. Sometimes even I can't bring myself to write "to whom."

markbe said...

ack! i can't believe i used the word "still" twice in the same sentence when the first "still" would have obviously still applied to the second "still"!!! i will chalk it up to posting without proofreading because it's more real. wait a second, why am i hesitating and checking my grammar and use of punctuation? you freaking English nerds are giving me a complex. i know how to write, dangit! really. ok, so i don't know ALL the rules of grammar. man...