Sunday, November 06, 2005

I Even Wrapped All My Christmas Presents

Greetings from Productivity Central. I returned home last night after an endless night of babysitting, which had capped off an endless week of lots and lots and lots to do, looked around my apartment, and asked myself, "What slob lives here?" Oh, wait, it's me. Right.

One of the things I love about Sunday is that, once the Sunday Sleep-In is over, I've got the whole day to putz around the apartment putting all the things away that I've left out during the week. This week, since I was so busy with other things, I had more than usual out, plus there was the unfortunate truth that I couldn't remember the last time I swept the floors. They were pretty gritty. So I tidied, and I straightened, and I swept, and I Windexed, and pretty soon I'd made a nice, clean space of floor on which to wrap gifts. And so I set to work, starting with the November birthday presents, and continuing on (while I was at it, and since I wasn't sick of it yet) with the Christmas gifts. They're all done now except for the two I have to finish making. Yes, just two. I know, it's sick. Of the two, I only have to buy supplies for one; I'm already set to go with the first one. Doubly sick, yes, yes, I know.

I used to be a master procrastinator. I would put off anything. In college, I remember rushing into the library at 10pm and grabbing a stackful of books to use as reference materials for a paper that was due the very next morning. At 8am. I didn't have a computer then, and the computer lab opened at 7am, so it's a good thing I'm a fast typist. It was kind of crazy, but I did it all the time, and not just with schoolwork, either. When it came to Christmas, I was a Christmas Eve shopper. It's a wonder anyone ever got anything worth keeping and that I wrapped the poor gifts.

I don't know when the tide turned--it was most likely quite gradual--but at some point I did realize that my life was a whole lot easier when I got things done as soon as I knew I needed to do them, or at least somewhat ahead of time. If I pushed through and finished right away, I didn't have to spend any time worrying. Maybe it's part of growing up, or maybe it's just part of wising up, but I very much prefer the way I do things now. It's fantastic. You procrastinators should try it.

No comments: