Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Mary Plus The Movies Equals True Love Forever

For quite some time now I've tried to pretend that my affection for the silver screen is not what it is. It seems frivolous to me, when I am trying to pay off my debt and be fiscally responsible, that I would, with the swipe of a card, spend at least six dollars and two hours of my time enraptured by what are mostly fictional works played out by people who make a lot more money than I ever will. But it's true anyway, whether I want it to be or not: I simply love the movies.

Tonight I went to my second viewing of Pride and Prejudice. In my defense, yesterday's viewing was cut short due to my inability to accurately estimate the amount of time previews take, and I had to leave to fetch Jack from kindergarten a good twenty minutes before the credits rolled. I know the story, and I could have refreshed my memory with the book, which I have in my living room, but I felt the overwhelming need to see it in its entirety on a screen that is larger than my apartment building. And so I went again tonight.

It is some consolation to me that tonight's feature did double duty as another opportunity to see the trailer for The Chronicles of Narnia. Yesterday when I saw it for the first time in all its huge-screen glory, I sat with my breath caught in my throat and at the end wanted to jump up and yell, "AGAIN! AGAIN!" So tonight I was indulged and saw it a second time, though to be truthful I could have watched it even again, could have sat there for hours even, just having it play over and over and over. I hate to admit it, but I am in danger of becoming like those ardent Star Wars fans that would pay to get into a movie just to see a trailer. This trailer is that beautiful. And I always did like talking animals besides.

Anyway. Back to my point, which doesn't exist. But here's something to consider anyway: Pride and Prejudice was very well done. The cinematography was beautiful, music pretty near perfect, and both Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen exceeded my expectations, bringing the characters alive in the way I've imagined them when I've read the book (which is high praise, let me tell you). This film is well worth the second viewing, perhaps even a third. Yes, yes, a third. I know.

But hey, at least then I wouldn't be paying just to see the Narnia trailer.

Um, so... Who wants to come with me?

10 comments:

Shepcat said...

When Pulp Fiction premiered in 1994, I saw it three, maybe four times in the theater and didn't go to any other movie until, like, November, because I couldn't imagine any movie released that fall being anything but a letdown after the exhilarating experience of Pulp Fiction.

I have a list as long as my arm of movies that I've watched repeatedly, compulsively over the years until I can practically recite the screenplay and cue the music, as if I'm willing the film to happen before my very eyes.

Don't ever feel guilty for loving a movie too much (unless, of course, it's Titanic). Even as we speak, Hollywood is churning out 20 godawful wastes of celluloid just to make up for that one cinematic gem you adore.

Cristin said...

Hey, nothing wrong with being a fan, right? I can't even tell you how many times I have read that book, Austen rocks! Can't decide if P&P or Persuasion is my favorite, tho.

I even own the BBC films, what a dork, but the scene of Colin 'hottie' Firth and his dopping wet white shirt... uh huh.

BTW, the "broken bindings" comment last week was me, too lazy to change my login I guess.

Broken Bindings said...

um, make that 'sopping wet'

Anonymous said...

well, i can say one thing. i've certainly never been so obsessed with a movie that i went to see it three nights in a row (fellowship of the ring), saw it 4 or 5 times in the theatre (two towers, return of the king) and i would certainly not have a countdown to a movie's opening on my desktop or be going to see it at midnight when it opens (goblet of fire).

just so you know. i'm not *that* crazy.

so if it's still in the theatres when i come home for xmas, i'll go see it with you!

<3 holly

EB said...

I got to go see Pride and Prejudice in an early preview sometime lasy Feb. I really really enjoyed the movie as a whole, and I was surprised to find myself really enjoying Keira Knightley as Elizabeth. I suppose I should go see the movie now that it's out and see what they did in terms of cutting editing.

I saw Moulin Rouge four or five times in the theatre, and it was the only movie I ever went by myself to, because I couldn't wait to see if anyone wanted to go with me. :)

Steve said...

No Worries Mary...I've seen a movie 7 times in the theater within about two weeks. You might appropriately be wondering "What the heck kind of movie warrants being seen seven times in less than two weeks in the theater?!". Well...it was "That Thing You Do". Call us crazy, we were...but there was a group of 5 or 6 of us during college that were in the mood for a feel good show...and that was it. So, your twice...not a problem...even three. :)

Shiz said...

ME! Take ME!

PS - My "word" is "guhunh". I like that, guhunh.

marymuses said...

I am glad you all approve of my movie habit. You are all invited to see Pride and Prejudice with me. How about tonight? Come on over!

Mmmmmmm ... Slurpees ... said...

Hi! Just in case you need something to tide you over for the next few days and you have a broadband connection, here is a link to a holy-smokes-it's-huge-I-can't-believe-how-enormous-it-is-9-minute trailer for Narnia: http://www.tv4.se/player/categories.aspx?treeId=30141&pid=32353&more=1

Please disregard the fact that the website is written in Swedish (I think) and that the first minute will have you thinking that they're erroneously showing a trailer for Band of Brothers. The trailer is in English, and it's well worth 9 minutes of your time. I can't wait till this opens. I might have to dress up as a goat -- errrr -- FAUN.

marymuses said...

Slurpees, it is not necessary to dress up as a faun to enjoy the movie. However, if that's what you like, well, hey...

Thanks for the link. I plan on watching it over and over and over and over once I get home tonight.