Friday, February 10, 2006

There's Nothing Like Raw Meat in the Morning

Especially if you're mixing it with your hands. Mmmmmm.... Considering that I have a freakish fear of food poisoning, and that the meat in question was ground turkey (salmonella! ACK!), it's a wonder I came out of it without developing a few nervous ticks. I think what helped is that I got to do one of my favorite things in the process, which is crushing crackers with a rolling pin. If you think I'm joking, I ask you, "What? Are you new?" There are a lot of small things that give me great satisfaction, one of which is reducing an entire sleeve of whole crackers to a fine mist of crumbs via rolling motion. Very therapeutic, really, which allowed me to finish making the food as opposed to washing my hands excessively and wiping the entire apartment down with Clorox. In the end I had eighty kazillion turkey meatballs, a crick in my neck, and the urge to buy markers. Turns out it takes eleventy hundred years to make eighty kazillion turkey meatballs, leaving a lot of time to think about any and everything, thus leading to plans so outlandish that they must be mulled over until a fairly reasonable desire comes to the forefront, thus: markers.

I bought twenty in both standard and bold colors. I'll show you what I make; you can count on it.

3 comments:

Shiz said...

Your title reminds me of Alice in Wonderland:

"There's nothing like a ham sandwich when you feel faint."

Alice suggests maybe water or something that might be better, to which the King replies:

"I didn't say there was nothing better, I said there was nothing LIKE it."

Shiz said...

And speaking of the little things we take joy in? Mine include skimming and eating the sweet white foam from the top of a new container of creamed (hard) honey, and putting my hands in dry beans or lentils or rice (kind of like Amélie), and the pursuit of the perfect lemon tart.

I can definitely see how crushing crackers with a rolling pin can bring you joy. I think I'd like it, too, ESPECIALLY if those crackers were ready-to-crumble Ritz crackers!

marymuses said...

When it comes to grain choices for tactile enjoyment, I prefer lentils or wheat, though I could see how rice or beans would be nice. I'm thinking wild rice or sushi rice as opposed to long grain, and for the the beans I'd definitely go for a smaller variety, like the great northern.

The crackers were saltines. I'll have to give it a go with Ritz, though, because that could be positively delightful.