Monday, March 20, 2006

There's Nothing Like Jumping Back In With Both Feet

There's also nothing like Chinese water torture, so, y'know...

Actually, it's not just a both feet jump. It's kind of more like a cannonball.

Off the high dive.

My flight got in late last night, and it was nearly 2am by the time I was in the door and scurrying about, trying to get the trash emptied and kitty litter changed. Yes, that's right; one of the first activities upon arriving home involved dealing with refuse and cat feces. WELCOME HOME!

So. By the time I set the alarm, the clock read 2:23am. I think you may have guessed this already, but getting out of bed this morning in order to be to work by 7:30 was no picnic. It's a good thing the clothes I wore on the plane were still clean and I could just grab them off the dresser and put them back on.

This morning Mary Liz had her five year check-up. She got the usual check-up, plus a bonus round of peeing in a cup (and on my hand! ADDED! BONUS!), three shots, and a finger stick. According to the nurse, she's a good bleeder. According to me, she's a good pee-er. And also she's pretty brave when it comes to shots. The finger stick was the only thing she complained about, and then it was just an "OW!" that indicated absolute annoyance with the nurse doing the blood draw. I mean, the audacity of her, trying to make sure that Mary Liz isn't anemic. How could she?

But the blood draw was over in seconds, and then there were band-aids, and special SpongeBob toys from the Special Drawer for Big Kids Who Get Shots, and all was soon forgotten, or at least until she had to use her hand to open the car door, at which point she sized up the situation and seized the opportunity to have someone else open the door for her. That's my girl!

And then there was Target, and then there was lunch, and now, finally, it is naptime. There's a load of laundry in the washer and three more to go before the end of the day. Yippee, hooray, and all that. We're also promised inclement weather, which may bestow a snow day upon the students of Jack's school and thus interrupt my usual Tuesday Morning Nap-A-Thon. You can roll your eyes at me if you want and play your finger fiddles in mock sympathy, by I won't be paying attention to you. I will be too busy feeling sorry for myself to notice your utter lack of respect of my need for daytime sleep.

In other news, it turns out that if you leave your apartment a mess and go on vacation, it stays a mess until you get back and clean it. Who knew? I did a little clean-up this morning, but frankly I could care less about the crusty hairball I found in my bedroom and the dirty dishes in the sink. Right now all I really want to do is sleep.

Enjoy your Monday. I'm off to enjoy mine on the comfy couch.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Oh goodness...she peed on your hand? Isn't that a nurse-type duty?? And did they not have gloves??? Ick, ick. Well, you are a better person than I. Again, you are Nanny of the Year and deserve a raise.

I am in complete agreement with you on the day time sleep. I love naps. Often, it is the only time I sleep. I just wish the rest of society would understand, respect and NOT FREAKING CALL ME when I am trying to nap. Or ring the door bell for that matter. Just because the rest of the world is wide awake and functioning normally, doesn't meant that I have any interest in participating. So there.

So glad you enjoyed your vacay. You should have totally bought that pillow.

Whew, that was exhausting...I think I am in need of a late afternoon snooze. Nighty-night.

Shiz said...

Can I nap now?

marymuses said...

Tina, unfortunately it's not a nurse-type duty. The kid and their parent/caregiver have to take care of it. I have to say, though, that MLiz did a pretty good job holding still so there was a minimum of urine contact with my hand. I suppose there might have been gloves, but, having been peed on before and living to tell the tale, the thought didn't cross my mind. I just kind of went, "Well, let's do this so I can wash up and be done with it."

Also, I wish you'd told me to buy that pillow while I was in Cali. DANGIT. Too late now... :)

And now, I, nanny and therefore Person In Charge Of All Of You, do hereby declare that it is naptime, and anyone may participate.