Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Marymuses Recommends

1. Proper burn care. Perhaps this comes as a surprise to those of you who are not acquainted with the fact that I am the Queen of Kitchen Mishaps, but this is not my first brush with scalding liquids. It's just the largest area I've ever managed to burn, even larger than the Super Doughnut Grease Burn of '86. When I've had smaller burns, I've always just run them under cool water for, oh, maybe forty-five seconds and then moved on. Then, for the two weeks following, I've been in pain every time I touched the burned area or had to, I don't know, shower or something. But thanks to the large area the burn covered, I was much more vigilant with the cold compresses and the various gels and bandaging and such. Now yesterday's burn is yesterday's news. Today it looks disgusting, and probably will until it's healed over, but it doesn't hurt a bit unless I poke at it, and then the pain is minimal. Follow the WebMD instructions, kids. You won't be sorry.

2. A trip to Target as an antidote to malaise. As usual, Target ate more of my money than I anticipated, but that's not Target's fault, unless you call being completely awesome a fault. Most of the time I just wandered around, looking at the many pretty things I wouldn't buy. I didn't have to spend any money at all (except on parking, AHEM, TARGET) to have a good time. I just figured that since I was there anyway and I needed shampoo, I might as well take something through the checkout.

3. Reading books. I hadn't been taking the time since I moved here to indulge in one of my favorite pastimes, but then a new friend loaned me a book, which I loved, and I have felt the need since then to always have something good to read with me. And by something good to read, I don't mean Us Weekly. That's just for the shiny, shiny pictures.

4. Whole Foods' house brand Organic Swiss Dark Chocolate with Mint Crisps chocolate bars. I say bars, plural, because I can't eat just one. They're like potato chips, except bigger and better.

5. Getting off work early every now and again. I get to leave early tomorrow night to see the Johnny Mayer show at Madison Square Garden. It's always exciting for me to go into the city on a week night. I'm ready now, in fact. Let's go!

No comments: