Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Thoughts and Observations

Today as I was driving to a random supermarket in Stamford, I saw a great many people heading to (or perhaps it was from) temple. It is Passover, and they were making their way there to celebrate the holiday. I saw one trio led by a spry old man using a walker, jetting along faster than the other two, a huge grin brightening his face. He was perfectly delightful; I wanted to pull over wish him a very good Pesach indeed, but it seemed he was already having one without me wishing it for him.

...

Al likes vanilla milk, and the trip to the random grocery store was to locate the syrup we use to make it. I had no idea that Stamford stretched so far in the direction I traveled, and I found myself enjoying the drive. Where I live it is mostly newer buildings and well-kept old ones. There is money in the town I live in, and plenty of it, so modest dwellings and old apartment buildings are not a common sight. In this part of Stamford, though, I found a wealth of smaller homes, some in good shape and some not, a perfectly average looking park with well-worn spaces where many feet had trod, but no landscaper had been called in to repair the damage. The area looked a little used up and lived in, and I felt so much more at home just driving around there than I have elsewhere. It was a good little excursion, one I look forward to the next time we run out of vanilla syrup or some other random ingredient that cannot be found 'round these parts.

...

Particularly if there's cooking being done, various aromas tend to waft up towards my room and mix together, creating odors that can at best only be called interesting. I determined that today I would invest in some sort of air freshening device, so I trolled the aisles at Target, looking for a clearance item that didn't seem too chemical-ish. I scored big on that one, as there were Method brand air freshening fans on clearance. I picked up two and put one together when I arrived home. Turns out there was a reason they were on clearance, as the small fan inside sounds rather like a rotary phone when it's on, and someone is dialing all nines.

...

I still hate puppies. I'm sorry, but I do. People are always saying, "At least he's cute," because they've seen the pictures and can't imagine a creature that is just so twee and precious being a complete pain in the neck. I'd like to invite all those people over to clean up his pee twelve times a day (this is no exagerration, though I wish it were) and dig the poop out of his mouth every time he's caught trying to eat it and then ask them if they feel differently about his cuteness canceling out whatever he might do wrong.

...

The evidence of spring having sprung is all around today, and Al is heading outdoors to do his homework in the sun. I think it's time for me to join him.

No comments: