Friday, May 25, 2007

I Can't Have It Both Ways

Not that I'd want to. But... Well...

Tomorrow morning I fly to Kansas City for what will be my last visit before I officially move home. Which: HOORAY! But also: Oh. Wait. Hold on! I'm just getting good at this! I finally figured out the flight that I like to take, how I prefer to get to the airport, and exactly how much time I need to allow to get to Starbucks and back to the car to grab my luggage before I board the train. No running involved. And now here I am about to embark on the last trip I'll take like that. It can't be over, can it?

I know it may seem strange, because I am so very excited to get on with my next phase of life, but I will really miss this part of life here. I will miss the train I take and strolling blithely through Grand Central to catch the shuttle. I'll miss my favorite spot in Terminal B and the possibility of people watching at LaGuardia. I'll miss the big city-ness of it all, because the truth is that one thing I have loved about here is how accessible everything is, how easy and natural it has become for me to travel from one place to another without breaking a sweat (unless it's, you know, hideously hot or something). It's been a good, commuting back and forth between here and there. I've come to like it quite a lot.

So I plan to relish tomorrow. Celebrate it, even. I'm going to take it to the limit. I'm going to get a venti iced mocha and a pastry with frosting. Maybe I'll even buy TWO magazines to read on the train. CRAZY!

(See you soon, Kansas City.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trains are great. You'll have to find another way ...

Anonymous said...

Blogger switches to Deutsch in Deutschland!

Shiz