Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Small Wonders

Last night Mary Liz called me to chat a bit about the recent Ward Parkway shootings. I used to take her (and also Jack) there quite a bit, and she wanted to tell me that it was closed right now, and it was very sad, and that she missed playing on "those cars at the Target" (coin-operated ride-on vehicles and animals which we rarely put coins in). I reassured her that it would reopen, but that since something bad had happened there, they'd need to make sure everything was okay and clean up the mess before people could go back. She seemed satisfied. We chatted a bit more about weather both here in Connecticut and in Kansas City, and then she said, "I really miss you very much, and I think you should come home very, very soon."

Me, too, squiglet. How about August? Will August work for you?

...

One of the great difficulties of my new! healthy! eating! plan! is that it doesn't include chocolate, as most chocolates I know of have lots of sugar in them or are confections made with both sugar and flour. I don't know if you got the memo, but this new! healthy! eating! plan! does not allow flour and sugar except on cheat day. However, my suffering has ended, for I have a recipe for healthy! delicious! chocolate! treats! Which I will share with you, for I am a giver:

1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup flax seeds
1 cup cocoa
1 cup natural peanut butter
3/4 cup agave nectar

Mix together and press into a very lightly oiled 8x8 pan. Refrigerate until firm (I just did mine at the end of the day and left it in overnight), cut into 25 small squares, and store in tupperware/rubbermaid/whathaveyou in the fridge. Full of omega 3s, fiber, antioxidants, and low on the glycemic index to boot. Also? Great with a glass of milk.

...

The family has started training the puppy on the invisible fence system, which means that he wears a collar that gives him a warning in the form of beeping and then a small shock if he gets too close to the boundaries. However, he kept coming across boundaries, and even sitting there with the collar beeping. We thought it must not be working, but then Frank observed him sitting by a boundary, twitching just a bit every few moments. He was being shocked, he just hadn't figured out that if he moved, it would stop. We thought he was smart, what with the Houdini-esque escapes from the kitchen (he can open the gates that are set up), but in this case he's really not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

1 comment:

markbe said...

extra dark chocolate doesn't have much sugar and does have essential nutrients.