Wednesday, August 29, 2007

And Eighty-Two Years Later, I'm Still Sitting Here

I dropped by The House (I've taken to calling it The House until I Officially Move In after I am Officially Wed) to drop off some wedding things and possibly put things in the two organizer baskets I bought for the bathroom closet, and decided that while I am here I could just, you know, real quick like, check my email and maybe peek at our registries (which I hear you're not supposed to peek at until after the wedding, but I have never been one to ignore opportunities to ruin the surprise), and pretty soon it turned into reading every website I ever read even occasionally, and now suddenly I am considering doing some online window shopping for apartments in France. Perhaps this is just what happens when I get distracted from my endless to-do list. Or perhaps it's what happens when I've had nothing more than coffee, granola, and a piece of chocolate loaf to eat all day. Come to think of it, I am feeling a little faint. Maybe I should sit here a bit longer and recover.

...

In an homage to my childhood love of the Smurfs, I went for the blue polish today at my pedicure. I had this great plan to take a photo and, now that my very own computer is finally up and running, actually post the photo to flickr or something and let you all take a peek at the kind of color only a twelve-year-old girl could truly love. However, today's pedicure was not only lacking in leg/foot massage finesse, but also in polishing skill. Dude had no idea what he was doing (yes, he, I got a man pedicurist), and all the ladies were sitting around watching Vietnamese soap operas. At one point during what was supposedly the massage portion of the pedicure, I looked over to see the youngest of the trio of soap fans tearing up a bit. What really annoyed me, though, was that it seemed that none of them had any interest in interacting with their customers. While the ladies at my Connecticut nail salon were not chatters, they always greeted me warmly and smiled at me when I looked up from my magazine. This place was not about to be wasting their time with idle chatter, or with a brief neck massage while my poorly-applied polish began to dry. I don't miss much about Connecticut, but I do miss Star Nails. And as far as I'm concerned, Nail Place at Ward Parkway Mall (I didn't pay attention to the name, honestly) can suck it. I won't be going back.

Oh, and PS, also they razored off some of my callouses, which is not a good idea, but I am too much of a wimp in those sorts of situations to tell them to STOPPIT NOW. So. Two thumbs down, please do not be going there and keeping their sorry excuses for pedicurists rolling in cash.

...

Things for the wedding seem to be coming along fairly well. In the middle of the night, when I can't sleep because I can feel my list staring at me from inside my backpack, I sing a different tune, but for now I feel like it's going to be all right, that I can get everything done without collapsing in a heap. Of course, maybe that's the coffee and chocolate cake talking. If that's the case, I suppose the only thing to do is to have iced mochas and chocolate cake every day. It will save my sanity, I am certain.

2 comments:

k_stin said...

I'm glad you didn't eat much, so we could have something to read. And Razored your callouses! OUCH! (I'm also a wimp in those situations.)

cara said...

i haven't read your blog in soooo long, but it totally remembered me with my email adress up at the top right corner and everything. i'm speshal.

dude! you got a dude! that's never a good sign. like, never. and i totally got the heeby jeebies thinking about the razoring off of callouses. does that word really end with -ous? 'cause it just looks strange to me.