Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I'm Pretty Much Useless Now

A couple of weeks ago, thinking I'd be doing myself a favor, I sent decaf beans through the grocery grinder instead of my usual Caffeine Fest 2007 Blend. What I enjoy about coffee is the flavor and the heat, so I figured it was just as well that I took down the stimulant use a notch. The next day, I blithely scooped my new blend into my french press, thinking nothing of it, except perhaps to congratulate myself for being the picture of responsible citizenship. I proceeded to gulp it down and get on with my day. And so I did the same the next day and the day after that, until one day I realized that, hey, wait, I'm really not getting much done. Where once I was full of vim and vigor, ready to attack the next organizational chore, I found I was, well, lazy. I shuffled through the house at snail's pace. But still, I kept to my caffeine-less ways. Surely I will get used to this, I thought.

Hrm.

Ha.

Shuffle. Shuffle. Shuffle.

So a few days ago, spurred on by a great deal of internet research (an excellent activity for those who might otherwise simply shuffle around their homes) and wise counsel regarding relief from my acne, I decided to return to my blood-sugar regulating ways, which is to say that I decided to give up refined sugars and flours for every day of the week but one. I've now made it two starvation-filled days (I don't know if you remember the whining of last go-round's first three days, but this is much the same), free from caffeine and sugar. And good grief am I ever tired. This, in a nutshell, is my excuse for being lax at posting.

Well, that and I've been busy at Free Rice. My vocab level currently sits at a fairly impressive level for a coffee and sugar free existence. I wonder what would happen if I were to put a proper hazelnut iced mocha in my hot little hands?

1 comment:

Shepcat said...

Come back to the dark (roast) side, Mary.