Monday, November 19, 2007

Because I'm Sitting in the Lap of Luxury Already, Thanks

For some years now I've been amending my Christmas list to include not just good things, but the best things possible. Like a goat. Or an alpaca. Or hope. In years past, I wanted these things in place of some of the things on my list, but the For Mary list was still quite healthy. This year, though, I'd like the For Mary list to be positively anemic. I'd like nothing to be on it. This year, and in years to come, I want to pass on the splendor of Christmas. I have so much already. Sure, there are things we could use for the house. Yes, there are pretty little things that would delight me to own. But I can afford to get those things for myself, and I have gotten those things for myself. I look around me and I see that I have everything I need and so very much of what I want. It is enough. It is too much, really. To get more things for myself brings such fleeting pleasure; to have things given to those who truly need them in place of what might have been given to me, which I do not need, would give me long-lasting satisfaction.

How appropriate, then, that this year my church is participating in The Advent Conspiracy. Whether you are a person of faith or not, perhaps you'd like to participate as well. I don't think you have to be celebrating the birth of Jesus in order to change the focus of your Christmas giving this year. We are so blessed and lucky. We have so much. Wouldn't it be good to share?

I think so.

1 comment:

markbe said...

i got your chickens 9 days ago, but still haven't received the card for you. i got the other gift i ordered a week ago almost. i fear someone may have taken offense to my message to you, which read something like, "Mary, here's your two stinking chickens..." i thought it a clever pun, but now methinks not so much (note 2nd pun, hah!)