Saturday, November 03, 2007

Watership Down Dramatization Soon to Come

I've found more than one warren of dust bunnies in the house today, the most notable collection retrieved via toothpick from the bathroom fan that I can't seem to figure out how to get off the ceiling. There are no visible screws, and I've pulled gently, but am afraid if I pull too hard that I'll break the thing entirely. Which wouldn't be the worst idea ever, as that fan doesn't do much, but I'd rather first find out if a good cleaning will help at all or if I'll have to take the second step of shopping for a new one.

I sometimes feel compelled to apologize in advance to all guests we might ever entertain at our home, to say a big I'M SO SORRY OUR BATHROOM IS COMPLETELY CRAPTASTIC. The whole thing needs to be taken to the dump. Except the sink. The sink may stay. Future guests, please to enjoy washing your hands, and sorry about the rest of your lavatory experiences here at Chez Mary et Jarod.

...

There's a reason the acronym for the Standard American Diet is SAD. Have you looked at your labels lately? And noticed how they are lying to you in the Nutrition Facts box? It may say "Trans Fats 0g," but if you read the ingredients, you'll find that those pesky partially hydrogenated oils are still in there. They've just manipulated the serving size so that there isn't quite a whole gram in a single serving. Put the box back on the shelf, the bag back in the freezer case, the bottle back on the shelf. I've got a ton to say about nutrition, but let this be your introduction. If it says "partially hydrogenated" or "high fructose corn syrup," it's not something you should be putting in your mouth. I feel similarly about artificial sweeteners, so put down that Diet Coke, too.

...

I just found a recipe for making chocolates using agave nectar. As I'm a big fan of agave and also possess a great many chocolate molds, this is fantastic news indeed.

No comments: