Sunday, January 06, 2008

It's a Bad Sign...

...when a Democrat candidate so thoroughly reminds me of one of my least favorite Evangelical Republicans. I'm talking about Hillary Clinton starting to resemble James Dobson. Seriously. Her, "I said (fill in the blank), and I did (fill in the blank), but HE did (fill in the blank) even though he SAID (fill in the blank one more time)" smacks of James Dobson defending something he said to some random person who was arguing with him about gay marriage. When you're on the defense, and you respond with criticism of others and inflation of your own ideas, you lose credibility.

Which is not to say that I ever thought Hillary was credible, except when it comes to good taste in doughnuts. (Her people get her doughnuts from my favorite doughnut place--I'll allow that we agree on doughnut selection.)

Round here we're Obama people. I like him. I LOVE that he hasn't been in politics all his life. I agree with him on most issues. I think the one thing that I do not agree with him about is his stance on abortion, but let's check and see if any Republican president has ever made any positive strides towards resolving that, or if politics has ever been a good vehicle for affecting people's decisions about morality...um, no.

Which leads me to another point, which is that I think that it makes little sense to vote for someone based on one or two issues when the rest of their platform is crap. I'm talking specifically about abortion and gay marriage, which are issues that a lot of Christians have singled out over time as the important issues, to the detriment of all else. It's silly. To try to save the lives of one small group of people while ignoring the death and destruction meted out elsewhere doesn't make any sense to me. To try to legislate morality by banning gay marriage while other moral issues lay untouched is asinine. Regardless of what we do or do not believe, we all have to see the big picture and make our votes count in the biggest way possible.

If Hillary ends up being the Dem candidate, I'm not sure what I'll do. I'll certainly not be voting for Mike Huckabee (or any of the other Republican candidates, for that matter) (oh, wait, except maybe I would rather have Ron Paul around than Hillary), even though I do admire the strides he's made from a couch potato to a runner (pun not intended, but certainly handy). I've moved beyond the days of thinking that because someone believes in Jesus that he will behave as Jesus would prefer him to.

At this time, one of my big problems with Hillary, besides the fact that I think she still comes off as unapproachable and self-righteous, is her stance on health care. (This applies to Edwards as well.) To penalize people for not obtaining health insurance is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in regards to that matter. Most people I know who do not have health insurance or who have gone through a period of not having health insurance in the past (*ahem*ME*ahem*) didn't opt out because they just didn't feel like having it, but because they couldn't afford it. There are a lot of people who fall into the middle ground of being ineligible for government assistance but also being unable to afford it for themselves. Health insurance costs are astronomical for those who must obtain their coverage on an individual basis. At one point in my life, I chose to opt out of medical insurance because the plan I could afford had an incredibly high deductible but an incredibly low amount of benefit. I still had to pay out of pocket to see a physician for common illnesses. My deductible was high enough ($5000) that the insurance company would never touch a lot of basic medical procedures I might need. It really only would have done something for me had I come down with a very serious illness or been injured in a freak accident. It seemed to me that I was throwing away $80 a month. So I chose to take my chances. To have the government require me to throw away $80 a month angers me almost as much as knowing that the current administration has given tax cuts to people who don't need or deserve them while denying expanded health care coverage to children. Ugh.

So...right. Circling back to Obama. To sum up, we like him, and we think you should like him, too. We particularly think that if you are in New Hampshire and you don't currently like him lots more than you like Hillary or John Edwards, you should look deep into your hearts and realize that the thing that's welling up in there is pure love for Obama. Put on your I HEART BARACK shirt underneath your sweater on Tuesday and help him win the primary.

1 comment:

brooke said...

You've got it right in every way. I have so much hope in Obama.