Friday, March 21, 2008

Being Mentally Unbalanced Has Never Been This Good

Last night I disclosed to some friends the insanely small amount of garbage that Jarod and I generate (one kitchen-sized bag per week, and most of the time it's not even full, even with the kitty litter inside). I was asked how we do it, and I know I gave some answer or another, but I didn't reveal the real reason. I mean, sure, we don't use disposable paper or plastic anything except toilet paper and the occasional tissue, and our rate of consumption of goods has gone way down since we discovered that our house is already full of enough crap, but that's not really it.

The truth is that we do not put out a lot of garbage because I am trying to win at recycling.

Seriously, I won't even throw a clothing price tag in the trash. And if I discover that Jarod has inadvertently thrown away something recyclable? I DIG IT OUT. I can't help it. If I see something in there that should be recycled and I do not retrieve it, I feel a little anxious until it's out and in its proper place. I'd seek help, but apparently OCD is good for the earth. Score one for mental illnesses!


P.S. I'm wondering if one could put cloth napkins in this? Because I kind of dig it, but I'm not really sure what I could do with it considering my, um, problem.

1 comment:

holly said...

omg. i just read your post out loud to jeremy as demonstration that we are exactly alike. this is my life!