Saturday, April 26, 2008

Mary's Cook-O-Rama

Every year for the Passover seder I attend, I am in charge of making the charoset. My hostess likes to flatter me and tell me that it's so good it could win an award, but I really don't think it's all that special. It's not that hard to make; it just takes time. So this year when she went on and on about how good it was, I just smiled and nodded and said thank you, and then somehow ended up volunteering to make enough for another seder, one with 100 people in attendance. Each person eats at least a quarter of a cup of charoset, and it doesn't take much mental math to figure out that that's a whole lot of fruity goodness.

So I got started. Five minutes into it, I sliced neatly through the tip of finger and into my fingernail. Still, I pressed on (after bandaging my finger and washing the knife, of course), and ended up with this:

for the charoset

Oh, how nice. I then ran it all through the food processor, grating the apples first and adding some grape juice and cinnamon at the end. Then it looked like this:

charoset

Which, actually, doesn't really look that appetizing.

Even less appetizing? How my kitchen looked at the end:

post-charoset carnage

Somebody spilled some raisins and did not bother cleaning them up right away. I don't know who that might have been, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the cat.

Don't worry, I cleaned it all up eventually, just in time to roast my own red peppers and make a whole new mess, along with some of this:

i also made this

That's Dijon Potato Salad with Roasted Red Peppers and Turkey Bacon, made especially for my dad's sixtieth birthday dinner. I had a little extra that wouldn't fit in the bowl, so I served it to Jarod and called it dinner. It has all four food groups in it, so I figure it's close enough.

After all that hard work, I figured I deserved a reward. Nothing says reward like a tiny sundae:

the reward for a job well done

Well, unless it's an enormous sundae, but I didn't have enough ice cream for that.

Happy Saturday, everybody.

2 comments:

Shiz said...

Penguin bowl! Penguin bowl! Penguin bowl!

It's cuuuute. :)

Shiz said...

The sleeping cat on the kitchen floor? Also makes this for me.