Sunday, August 31, 2008

Kitchenless in Kansas City

Well, sort of. We do have most of a stunningly beautiful new floor, and I could probably start using the stove again since we don't need to scooch it around so much. (Hot stoves are not exactly scoochable.) But doing dishes in the bathtub? Chopping vegetables in the sink that is right next to the toilet? Hmmmmm....no. The unfortunate part of this whole situation is that there's not much that I can do about it personally. I can move stuff around as necessary and clean up when it's all done, I can choose fixtures and knobs and pulls, I can pick up items at Home Cheapo, but installation is not something that would be wise for me to take on. As much as I'd like to pretend that I can do absolutely anything, I've had to make my peace with the fact that I stink at putting things together. If you think I'm exaggerating, please visit the bookshelf in our office and remove the books from the shelf that's one up from the bottom. Does that look like the kind of work that is good for a semi-permanent structure such as a new kitchen? I don't think so either.

Which is why I'm buying exterior paint today. Well, sort of. It's also because it's on sale. But painting is something I can do while I am leaving the enormous job of kitchen installation to others, and our house sorely needs it. The previous owners didn't bother to prime before they painted, and now the paint is peeling itself off on windy days. Couple that with our cracked up, weedy driveway, add in the broken cabinets we've temporarily stowed next to the house, and all we need is a car on blocks in the front yard to paint a rural redneck tableau right here in the middle of the city. We've already got the urban native grassland going in the back; I think we'll pass on the redneck jamboree.

1 comment:

Shiz said...

You need a good old fashioned catfish-fry in your backyard for that house, ma'am. Go 'necks!