Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Pretty Much Perfect

I never did tell you the circumstances that led to me ending up in Connecticut for the weekend, but I think I can just say that the stars all aligned and some people were very gracious, so I was able to make the trip out to look after F and A for the weekend. Their grandma was there as well, but needed a bit of extra help, so there I was. And I had the most fabulous weekend. Everyone was very well-behaved and agreeable, including me. The only scheduled activity of the weekend was the big swim meet F and A were in on Saturday morning, so we had lots of time to go fun places and do fun things. F and I went to Starbucks and did some window shopping (twice!), while A preferred Wii-related activities and a turn at the ping pong table out at the beach club they belong to. I really relished the short time I had to spend with each of them. They are both becoming such amazing individuals; I truly cannot wait to see where life takes them.

As an added bonus to the weekend, I did not have to be the Official Jonas Brothers Concert Chaperone, but was instead invited into the city to share in the pre-concert dinner and then left to my own devices for the rest of Sunday evening. I can think of only one instance that I had a more enjoyable time in the New York City than I did on Sunday night, and I have had some incredibly enjoyable times, so that's really saying something. I think what made it so good was that it was a surprise; I only expected to see Grand Central on the way to and from the airport, so to have an evening to wander about as I wished was a gift. I had absolutely no goals or expectations for the evening, the weather was perfect, and I'd made enough money on the weekend to do a little bit of shopping. It was fantastic.

Also fantastic was not having to rush off to a flight first thing Monday morning. I slept in a tiny bit, got a pedicure, and still had time to hang out with the kids for a bit before heading out. I left early enough to make a couple of stops in Grand Central, and if we were to leave things at the moment that I stepped onto the shuttle with my bags full of good things to take home and my stomach full of delicious treats, the weekend would have been perfect. In fact, I'm willing to ignore the flight delay and the heartburn I got from flying and just call the whole weekend a rousing success.

Hooray!

1 comment:

amy said...

I was wondering how your trip went. Glad you had such a great time and that you got some quality time with the beautiful city!