Sunday, October 19, 2008

Don't Read This, Mom; It's About Politics.

The neighborhood where I work contains a lot of McCain supporters; in fact, the house where I work has not one, but two McCain signs in the yard. I understand that the kids' dad holds a far different opinion than I do regarding who should be our president, and I abstain from discussing the race with him because I know that there's not a shadow of doubt in his mind regarding who he should vote for and why. It would be a waste of time for both of us. I do, however, discuss the election with the kids, who like to say things like, "But, Mary, Obama is going to raise taxes." I openly dispute mistruths ("Only for people who have a lot of money, not for most people. Most people will pay less."), and I am also clear with them that different people think that different things are important when it comes to electing a president. I believe that Senator Obama will serve our nation best, so I am voting for him. They still like to yell out "MCCAIN WOO HOO!!!" when they see a McCain yard sign, so I take the opportunity to yell "Obamaaaaaaaaa!!!!!" when I see one of Obama's. It's become more popular than the punch bug game, and I'm kind of wondering what we'll do for entertainment in the car after the election.

The other day we were participating in what can only be described as a neighborhood street crossing campaign, and I was eavesdropping on a couple of McCain supporters chatting about why they are voting for him. It came down to taxes. Both women are in the tax bracket that would be more heavily taxed under Obama's tax policy. One woman said to the other, "YES. And you keep that wealth you have made for yourself!" Ladies and gentlemen, that is the most selfish reason I have heard about why to vote for someone; congratulations, you win the Asshole of the Election prize. To say that you support someone because you agree with their policies regarding family or education is one thing, but to say that you support that person because they allow you to hoard your abundant dollars for yourself is downright awful, particularly if you were born into a situation in which you did not so much have to pull yourself up by your bootstraps to become wealthy, but simply accept the education that was paid for by your parents and slip into the upper class life that was laid out for generations in advance. It's sickening.

A driver that picked us up from the airport in London summed up the problem quite succinctly, before I even heard that terrible remark. He said that the problem, as he sees it, is that people are no longer willing to look beyond their own front door when it comes to deciding who to vote for. So many of us vote selfishly, and that is true of voters in both parties. If you are still undecided, I urge you to consider the world beyond your own front door. What can the candidates do not only for you, but for everyone? Who will best lead and serve?

Vote according to your conscience, not your pocketbook.

5 comments:

Named One said...

But why should I trust the government to distribute my money where it needs to go? (come on, this is the government we are talking about. And be careful in your judgments. Those ladies charitable contributions may fund something you believe in and hold dear.

marymuses said...

I'm sure those ladies are quite nice in other ways; I just highly disapprove of their reasons for choosing a candidate. They may well give in ways I don't know, but all I heard about was keeping their money for themselves. They did not say, "Yes, and you keep your money so you can give it as you see fit."

As for the government distributing my money where it needs to go, the fact is that a lot of the things I take for granted every day are paid for by government funds. Our government isn't perfect, but if we take part, not only electing the leaders we believe will distribute those funds best, but also in communicating our desires to our elected officials, then government-sponsored programs can work. And I for one do not mind giving more so that those who have less can benefit.

Named One said...

Ok. I just wanted to hear a little more in some areas and a little less in others. Simplifying another's existance by nominating them for the "Asshole of the Election prize" debases and in my opinion, adds fuel to the fires of polarization. By the way I am voting for Obama too . . . I think.

Anonymous said...

I ignored your title warning and read anyway! I am glad you are involved in the political process. I agree that we should consider the world beyond our doorstep in making our informed decisions. I just wish there was someone who really represented me and the world as I see it running from one of the major political parties. I will vote, but not with the same passion that you will have when you cast your vote.
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one. I think this not only summarizes the decision making of many American voters, but also US foreign policy for as long as I've been alive with few exceptions. I'm ready for both to change.