Thursday, November 27, 2008

An Attempt at Aging Gracefully

Tomorrow I am turning 33. This seems old to me, in a way that turning 32 did not. In fact, for some reason, turning 33 seems older than turning 34. If that sounds ridiculous, it's because it is ridiculous. I've heard that's what happens when you reach your mid-thirties: you simply become ridiculous, and that's that.

To celebrate the day, I am taking care of my Saturday baby and hanging out in my pajamas. I requested that her parents bring her here instead of me going there partly because it's an earlier morning than my usual Saturday shift, and partly because I really do want to spend an extended period of time in my pajamas tomorrow. I was thinking earlier in the week of what the best birthday gift would be, and I came up with two things:

1. To be able to use my 15% off coupon to get something pretty at Anthropologie.
2. To not have to paint the house myself.

The first one is a done deal, as I received some money for my birthday, which I feel I can fritter away on frivolities instead of feeling like it must be budgeted in to pay for something for the house. The second one may be a bit of a stretch, but Jarod has promised to work on it, and I am pretending it will take him no time at all to finish the job. A girl can dream, can't she?

I did think of a third thing that I wanted late last night, after the preliminary two-item list had already been cemented in my mind, which is to see a movie in the theatre instead of just saying that we want to see it, intending to see it, and then missing it because we are too busy. We'll be seeing Australia tomorrow; I'm very excited. I plan on sneaking in a coffee and some snacks from home. It'll be just like old times, when we actually left our house to do fun things instead of planning parties that revolve around home improvement chores. It is likely that in this case, a good time will be had by all. Hooray!

No comments: