Sunday, November 09, 2008

Preference, Peeves, Etc. (Flight Edition)

I have decided that 11am flights are just about perfect. You can sleep until a reasonable hour and, even if you have a layover, generally you'll make it into your city of choice in time to grab dinner and, if you're me, go running. This is just for domestic flights, of course--for the international variety I believe 6pm is the best time for takeoff.

There are a good many people bringing large carryons these days, thanks to most airlines charging for checking bags. We cannot do this, thanks to my acne care-related products all being just slightly too big, but in truth I'm kind of glad. Wedging a suitcase into the overhead bin does not look like a good time to me. I'll just tuck my backpack and tote bag neatly under my seat, thanks.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the lack of respect for personal space on the plane? On our first flight out, the woman next to me kept elbowing me inadvertently, then getting up several times and flinging her seat belt in my direction as opposed to just slipping it off. Flair for the dramatic, perhaps? On the second flight, the man next to me left his elbow in my seat space the entire flight. I realize the seats are small, but they are small for all of us, so guess what? If you don't have enough room and overflow into someone else's space, then you are making their already small space even smaller. I think that common courtesy should become part of the safety instructions at the beginning of the flight.

If you hadn't guessed yet, we are home. I have a ton of photos from the wedding, none of which are on this computer yet, so you'll have to be patient and just trust me when I say it was wonderful. I promise I'll have more to share soon.

2 comments:

Shiz said...

W00t! Yer home! And you RAN.

jason said...

don't even get me started....

hope you are well - i haven't seen you in ages!

(although i see your better half from time to time)...