Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Today's Nanny Tip

We've reached that WHaaaaaaT? portion of the day, in which both children are saying my name with a question mark at the end so often that I respond with exasperation. What now? This is also the portion of the day where my chosen method of sibling rivalry diffusion is hard at work. I don't get in the middle of arguments unless someone has gotten physically or seriously emotionally hurt, instead choosing to remind them that they need to figure out how to get along. When one tattles on the other, I merely remind the offended party that they are not always nice to their sibling, then make a mental note of the offense for use later. That way, when the opposite sibling comes to me with a complaint, I can simply say, "Well, you did (fill in blank with previous offense) to her earlier, so I guess you're even. It's too bad you two are having a hard time figuring out how to get along today." I know there are plenty of parents and caregivers that would get in the middle of every single argument and play judge and jury, but I don't think that's wise. Not only will you get worn out and never get the real story anyway, but the kids will not learn how to resolve conflict. Obviously if it's something serious, you should get involved, but for normal sibling (or friend) rivalry? Let 'em figure it out. That's my tip to you.

You're welcome.

No comments: