Sunday, January 18, 2009

Window Shopping

If we were of the leisure class, the sort of folks who have unlimited expendable income, I guarantee you I would spend most of our money on handmade goods. For example, did you know that if you search Etsy for handbags, the search yields nearly 30,000 results, many of them fantastic. I got to page twenty-three before I felt like I just couldn't look anymore, lest handbag lust overtake me and drain our bank account of the money meant to pay the dentist next week.

I am also fond of pretty much everything on paper n stitch, perhaps unreasonably fond of the Leanne Graeff camper napkins, plus every single bird brooch offered by Lupin Handmade. I should probably step away from the internet now.

Especially since the thing I want that is not handmade is this sofa. One of us would have to sell a kidney for that, and so far Jarod is unconvinced that it's necessary.

...

So I've been doing that thing which is a sensation in the blogosphere--no, not videos of my cats, but the 30 Day Shred. I've completed seven days of Level 1, and I must admit that it's kicked my butt pretty hard. I thought that it wouldn't be that bad, what with my ability to run seven miles and the marathons I've got tucked under my belt, but it turns out that running does not translate to overall fitness, and my shoulders are the wimpiest thing you ever did see. I bought five pound weights, thinking that I didn't want to go all pansy-ass weakling from the very beginning, and what do you know? They were too heavy; four days into it I had to buy three pounders from Target, and the workout was still a challenge. I've dropped a couple of pounds, though time will tell if that's the workout or just because I am no longer invited to dinners where most dishes contain cream of mushroom soup.

...

I've been working more lately, and one family added a squishy new baby to the mix, which means a rate increase for me, which means in turn that there are a few more dollars floating around. I've got some solid, practical plans for most of those dollars, but I won't lie to you and tell you that I'll be spending all of them on practical things. After skipping Christmas gifts for each other, Jarod and I have agreed to do a little something for Valentine's Day, and I didn't waste my time telling him where he could acquire a handbag that would suit my tastes. Handmade goods purveyors, rejoice. You're about to get a little more business.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

you find stuff that is cooler than I ever knew existed, all the time.
I have a request.
You you provide some kind of side bar link, like a labels section, where you ahave a label of all your wish lists, or shopping recommendations, cause I am prepared to quit shopping myself altogether and just rer to your blog whenever I want something, like a handbag, shoes, furniture, you name it. You find stuff that is so much cuter than I ever knew existed. Did I saythat already? I know I did, but I can't help it. I am confused and awed.

k-stin said...

Nice sofa! Have you had a chance to try it out? Is it comfy, too? Maybe THAT should be your Valentine's gift...