Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hobo Junction

I keep referring to our house as Hobo Junction, but I assure you that this is not for nothing. Disintegrating driveway, creative paint job, need of landscaping--the list is endless. And now the weather is helping add to the hobo tableau! The other night the storm blew over our birdbath, and it turns out that I cannot stand it back up properly because the part that is supposed to hold the base to the bowl has dissolved. I guess that's what I get for putting a $35 limit on my birdbath budget. Next time I'm upping it to $40.

...

I cannot express to you how obsessed I am with fixing! up! our! place! I have been scraping wallpaper like mad and purchasing organizational aids. It does help that the organization items from Orla Kiely's line have been available at Target. Once the dishes come in, it will be an Orla Kiely free-for-all (er, spend-for-me?) in my shopping cart. Rumor has it that THIS weekend is THE weekend, and you'd better believe that I will mow you down if you get in the way of my mug and tray purchases. And don't even glance in the direction of the cute pear apron if you know what's good for you. That shit is MINE. Hands off, interlopers.

...

Speaking of hands off, I do hope that online shoppers will keep their hands off the keys until certain items from Boden go on clearance, particularly if you wear a size 10 long. Step away from the Bow Coat in purple and Must Have Shift Dress in blue floral in particular, if you know what's good for you.

I mean, unless you're ordering it for me, in which case, might I also suggest the Grainy Leather Shopper in aqua and Sassy Jersey Dress in purple?

...

With all this talk of shopping, you'd think I'd gone all consumerism crazy, but the truth is that I'm just proceeding with my plan of replacing several deteriorating items with one that will last longer and bring more enjoyment, and in turn bringing order to our house. It is much easier to keep eight pairs of trousers neatly hung than it is to keep countless pairs of trousers in varying states of disrepair hung, folded, or stuffed away. Ruminating over organization over the weekend brought the realization that I've reached my 2009 goal of having a place for everything already. How did that happen? Why didn't I notice? I suppose I was thinking that I was not done because I have yet to buy a few more plastic tubs for storage of items that are necessary but not in need daily, but those things are stacked somewhat neatly in laundry baskets, and that does constitute a home, albeit a temporary one. So...uh...go me? Way to accomplish a goal without even realizing it?

...

Our eventual goal is to move to the UK, specifically to London. There's no big reason except that we like it a whole lot. Time will tell how feasible this is, but it is quite motivating on the organization and eliminating excess goods front. If you are having trouble parting with things, I suggest imagining that in a year or two you may be moving across the ocean--if you're at all like me, you'll start throwing things at your Goodwill pile all willy nilly, and soon you'll have enough to fill your car twice over. And that, as Martha says, is a good thing.

1 comment:

True Grits said...

I'm coveting the Super Sunflower Tunic and the Artisan Coat from Boden's catalog. And his shoes for spring are too cute. Good luck waiting for the clearance!