Thursday, February 19, 2009

Judging By Our Shopping Habits, You Should Purchase Target and Home Depot Stock

I was pretty sure I should just go ahead and build a shrine to Orla Kiely in my home, but then it turned out that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Sure, I did stalk Target every single day until they got in the items I wanted, but once all was said and done, I even resisted buying some items I was sure I wanted, and I'm returning one I was undecided about. What I've got are twelve salad plates, chair cushions for the dining room, and a bunch of storage boxes. My house doesn' t look like its been taken over by Orla after all.

Well, until I put on my apron.

...

Our kitchen isn't quite done, but we are already starting on bathroom renovations. Remember how our kitchen migrated into the rest of our house when we were in the thick of renovations there? The bathroom has done the same thing. Which is handy, really, because if you are eating and get something stuck in your teeth, the floss is just three steps away.

...

I have now moved up to Level 3 of the 30 Day Shred, and I am here to report to you that if you are a coordinated, non-clutzy sort of individual, this workout will be awesome for you. If you're me, this workout will be awesome in about eight sessions when I get the moves down without falling over or having to stop more than once during a circuit to stare at the screen like a confused walrus.

...

Speaking of renovations, I cannot do much of the heavy lifting or precision type labor in the bathroom or kitchen, so I've been working on our bedroom. Tonight I finished scraping off the painted over wallpaper, and on Sunday I get the privilege of sanding down all the plastered areas, which are many and are larger than I'd like. I am determined to get this job done; after the sanding comes the wall wash-down, after which comes caulking, after which comes paintingblah blah blah, it's finished. It feels like we are doing a LOT to the house right now, and we are, but I hold on to the hope that A) One day we will be finished, and B) Others might learn from our labors and buy a house that already has these things updated. Never trust a house with painted over wallpaper; you don't know what you'll find underneath.

No comments: