Saturday, March 28, 2009

An Almost Ode (to my Watch)

About a week ago, the battery died on my second string watch (the first string watch's battery had been dead since 2008), and I was left watchless. I know this is not a problem for many people, as a cell phone will display the time nicely, and most folks sit in front of a computer for much of the day. But my schedule is harried enough, and I am nervous enough about being late to something, that I require something attached to my person that shows me the time at a glance. The past week was busy enough that I didn't manage to get the battery replaced until today, so all week I was glancing at my wrist only to be met with disappointment and the inconvenience of digging out my cell phone. Once the battery was installed on my first string watch and the watch repairman had set the time, I suddenly felt like breaking into a dance of joy, or at least writing a love poem to my timepiece. I didn't, though. There wasn't enough time. I checked. By glancing at my wrist. Delightful!

...

Speaking of time, and not having enough of it, I never did tell you how the party we threw went. It was fantastic. I could fill you in on all the details, but I doubt you'd be able to stay awake. Instead, here's a photo of the birthday boy with frosting in his hair:

it's not a party until someone gets frosting in their hair

...

Tonight was Earth Hour, which we observed by turning off everything and reading. I read a book by candlelight, and Jarod read whatever was on his iPhone screen. I think he was kind of cheating, and I say that mostly because he used that very iPhone to twitter that I was cheesy because the book I happened to be reading by candlelight was Twilight. I think if anyone gets an A for Earth Hour effort, it should be me. He can have a D for Doing What He Always Does.

...

I am now reading by the light of a CF bulb, thank heaven. There's a reason Ma Ingalls used to get out the oil lamp for Laura and Mary to do their homework by on the prairie. Candles really don't cut it.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have a teenage vampire romance to finish reading.

1 comment:

daysgoby said...

What a beautiful boy!

Rosey and I hung out in the living room and sang songs. It was absolutely delightful.