Thursday, May 28, 2009

Killing It Softly

Not to brag or anything, but I kind of killed it today. Worked, got in a good nap, made both hair and makeup look decent for once, unloaded the dishwasher while giving kid advice, worked a ton more, during which I remained non-plussed while being continually spat-up upon and enduring the overtired toddler pterodactyl cry, bought wine (the need for which is completely unrelated to spit-up and pterodactyl-type toddlers), went to both banks we patronize, and put gas in the car. That last bit is what really put the frosting on the killed-it cupcake, as there's not much I loathe doing more than putting gas in the car. Only one thing, really, speaking only of things I actually have to do, of course, not things that I do not have to suffer through which are much, much worse (first world problems, blah, blah, blah), and that's scraping my car's windows when it's chilly. So there are two things I cannot stand, right there at the top of the list, and they both have to do with the car. Clearly, I was cut out to be a public transportation kind of girl. Nobody makes you scrape windows on the bus, or gas it up, for that matter. Same goes for trains, both overground and under.

...

Not to be making any sort of big announcement or anything, but Jarod and I have been having a lot of adoption related discussions, mostly centered around the fact that we're filling out an application and have to answer important questions like "Are you applying to adopt a special needs child?" The short answer is yes, but the longer one is that we will gladly parent a child who is reasonably healthy or one who needs a bit more care, and the even longer one is that we are prepared to deal with some needs and not others at this point in time. Anything correctable or treatable is a go, and for me there are some not-so-fully treatable diseases that I'd be fine with, but that's me being all comfortable with the idea of anti-retrovirals and buying enormous packages of latex gloves at Costco and such. I would open my arms to an HIV positive child without hesitation, but it's not just about me, and the truth is that I know it would make a lot of people very uncomfortable, and that's not a position I want to put my child in. I find this to be frustrating, considering that it's not an airborne disease, but what I find to be even more frustrating is the position we end up being in when it comes to diseases that are similarly transmitted (blood to blood contact, sexually, needle sharing, etc.) but for which there is a vaccination. I understand people being nervous about some freak accident happening in which our child's blood would somehow get in their child's scabbed over wound, and that when it comes to a disease for which there is no vaccine and no cure, it's just hard to get around feeling protective of your own child. I get that. But the conversation turned to Hepatitis B, for which there is a vaccine, and Jarod made the point that even though there is one, it doesn't mean that people will have their children get it. This makes me want to smack people just a little bit, or maybe just call them selfish stupidheads.

...

There will be another blog, by the way, once we get our adoption-related cows over their adoption-related buckets. Because if there's one thing I need, it's another blog. First, though, we'll get through the first step of actually being approved by an adoption agency. I'd hate to point you somewhere only to have to go, "Oops, no, wait a minute."

I'll keep you posted. For now, you can think happy adoption thoughts and send them our direction, praying that the adoption-related cows will come in peacefully from the meadow to be milked by the loving hands of a couple of nerds who want to be parents.

Something in that metaphor kind of fell apart there; let's ignore that bit.

1 comment:

daysgoby said...

Congratulations on beginning something! Or...Happy Mailing of Documents! Or...oh heck with it. Happy for you!