Friday, August 21, 2009

She Works Hard for the...Really Nice Shower? The Beach? Pain au Chocolat?

Here's what I need, really: one full day with the house all to myself, coffee and half & half stocked in the fridge, some sort of chocolates at the ready, and a good night's sleep the night before. I'm not going to get that anytime soon, so I'm just trying to deal with the reality of life, which is that I'll have snatches of time here and there during which I'll get very little done, but maybe someday I'll figure out where the musty smell is coming from and take care of it. In the meantime, how do you like the scent of this candle I've lit?

Lately I've been getting confused about adoption documents, which is understandable, considering that there are so many and the instructions so specific, but at the same time I always feel quite foolish when I ask our caseworker a question only to discover after she has kindly answered it that it was written plainly in the instructions. People complain about adoption agencies having a high rate of turnover, but I think I know why. It's because human beings can't read instructions, and boy would it ever get old to keep answering questions that are already answered in the literature the prospective parents are supposed to be reading. The well of our caseworker's patience must be deep.

These days I vacillate between counting down to our vacation and freaking out because OMG FIVE WEEKS HOW WILL I GET THIS DONE? Which is silly, really, because it's not like anyone has imposed the time limit on me except for me, myself, and I, and that trio is kind of obnoxious. What me, myself, and I should really be doing is going, "Nice job doing all the paperwork and keeping track of schedule for work with four different families. Here, have a cookie!" Actually, the cookie part does come up, come to think of it, and often.

OMG FIVE WEEKS!

And then...aaaaah. This is one vacation I will definitely have earned.

No comments: