Monday, October 26, 2009

My Favorite Season

At night I move through quiet houses. I put away the toys we missed when I made the kids help, I fill the formula pods, I unload the dishwasher. I do a walk-through to find any stray mugs or cups that have rolled beneath furniture. It's a good feeling, having put everyone and everything to bed for the night. I am here late tonight, and the cable doesn't seem to be working, but I don't mind. I just wish I'd brought a book.

This morning was our home study, and yesterday's cleanup and decluttering made our own home quiet, and not just in the sense of lack of noise. I always feel more peaceful when everything is in its spot. There was the leftover feeling of homemade bread and good jam and hot coffee. There was golden light spilling softly through our windows, and all the cats were curled up, cozy. There was nothing pressing to do. It was perfect. This is the quiet of autumn, when everything is golden and orange and flaming red, and I don't think there's anything better in the whole world.

2 comments:

Schmutzie said...

This weblog is being featured on Five Star Friday - http://www.fivestarfriday.com/2009/10/five-star-fridays-edition-77.html

marymuses said...

Oh, cool! Thank you so much!