Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Turbulence

We returned Sunday evening to desperate cats and a chilly house that smelled faintly of something unpleasant. It didn't take long to press the appropriate buttons to generate heat and eliminate the offending odor and leave our suitcases haphazardly all over the house, where they stayed until I unpacked them today. It was good to get home, and for me it was good to get home knowing that the kind of existence I was trying to sustain pre-vacation was over. Yesterday was a whirl of adoption paperwork and errands, and I couldn't have been happier about it. Today started out swimmingly, but then Jarod called home sick, I banished him to the bedroom so I could get things done (obviously because I care for him and want him to get his rest and feel better, not because, ahem, this introvert had maybe had enough of people and needed a little space to work independently), and before we knew it our elderly cat had vomited on his iPhone. So now we've got one sick husband, one iPhone convalescing in a bag of rice, and one introvert who has to hold herself together until her young charges are in bed tonight. It's not gone as smoothly as I hoped, but I'm just going to switch on my internal seat belt sign and ride it out. It's not perfect, but it's better, and like any turbulent plane ride, it will eventually get me where I intend to go, just with a few more bumps along the way than I'd prefer.

I'll get back to you when I've landed and we've taxied to the gate. You can wait for me near baggage claim with a sign that says WELCOME BACK and a balloon bouquet.

No comments: