Sunday, November 01, 2009

Fantasy

I've been thinking a lot lately about body image and shape and eating and nutrition and all those boring things I get obsessed with if my trousers are either too tight or more loose than usual. Exercise also, let's not forget! Frankly, I find the whole thing to be a bit tedious. I subscribe to a certain magazine that I enjoy quite a lot, but that pretty much prints the same stories with slightly different recommendations each time. It always boils down to eating right, exercising, and drinking more water. If I see another chart showing a week's worth of meals at a glance, I might run away screaming. I always hate their recommendations; I don't want someone else to tell me how to shop for my food or what to eat when or how to prepare it. My life doesn't fall onto a grid very well, and neither do my eating habits. I tend to swing like a pendulum from labor-intensive, all-homemade to Hey, look at these chocolate peanut butter yogurt pretzels! All I have to do to eat them is lift the lid of this holiday decorative jar. But I still have this fantasy that someday I will make nearly everything from scratch, and the pretzels will grow stale because our bellies were too full of homemade goodness to want any of them at all.

A girl can dream, can't she?

No comments: