Friday, November 27, 2009

Wishful Thinking

For most of NaBloPoMo, I've gotten my post in just under the midnight wire, and tonight is no exception. The day started at 6am, and aside from a brief lie-down on the sofa between jobs, I've just kept rolling all day. This is partly due to caffeine and partly due to my nature. I like to hit it hard so I can relax without a care later, and I've been doing a lot of that first part lately, but I don't seem to make it to relaxing without a care very often. There is always something else to do, particularly at this time of life. I thought that getting the home study done and having most of our adoption paperwork together would lighten the load, but it turns out that it just leads to other things that need to be done. For instance, I now think that we should scrape, patch, and reseal the basement walls before the baby comes. I don't know who's going to be doing that, but doesn't it sound like a good idea? It will sound like an even better idea when we have a baby to keep us busy and it rains hard enough to form a wading pool in random areas of the basement. Then we'll go, "Wouldn't it have been great if we'd repaired the cracks and sealed our basement?" And we won't need to answer because that's what we call a rhetorical question.

We've talked a lot about not wanting to be homeowners anymore, and we really mean it. Last night we walked by some sweet old apartments that are just the style I like, and I looked in all the windows that allowed my nosiness, dreaming of what it would be like to live there, to be in a better location than we're in now, and to have a guy to call if there's water in the basement. Maybe the guy wouldn't do anything about it, but at least it wouldn't be our problem. That probably sounds terrible, but I don't care. I want to have a guy to call when something breaks. I want the work to come from someone else's hard labor and the cost to come out of someone else's bank account. Not to mention wanting to be close enough to walk somewhere worth going and to have sidewalks take me all the way there. I want to raise our daughter in a place that is near enough to both a park and a coffee shop that we can walk there easily. In twenty-seven minutes, it will be my birthday, and this is, officially, my thirty-fourth birthday wish.

1 comment:

daysgoby said...

Happiest of birthdays, Mary! I hope this time around the sun is the absolute best.