Thursday, January 07, 2010

The Gospel of Homemade Deodorant

Oh, like you didn't see that coming. Admittedly, the month I've been using my homemade deodorant has been chilly enough that you might wonder if I need to wear deodorant at all, but it's turned out to be a fantastic testing ground. Because lots of layers plus running the defrost full blast in the car plus eventually ending up in a spectacularly well-heated venue equals sweat, and more of it now that I'm using just deodorant and not antiperspirant. I was concerned the first time I felt myself sweating a little. I may have done a lot of subtle armpit sniffing. But even after trips to the bathroom to do not-so-subtle armpit sniffing, I determined that, hey, wait a second...I don't stink. At all. Even twenty-four hours and a very sweaty workout later I don't stink. There's just sweat, and that's it. No reapplication. No added fragrance. Just one rub-in of a pea-sized amount of the homemade stuff, and I'm good.

It's a winner, and not just in the stink-prevention department. I never end up with deodorant residue on my clothes. Thanks to the moisturizing ingredients in the deodorant, my armpits are softer than they've ever been, and I get a closer shave because of it. There's no caked-on-due-to-repeated-application film to contend with. And when I sweat, it feels better. You can laugh at that one if you like; I certainly would have before I tried it. But there's something about just sweating as opposed to sweating through a layer of antiperspirant that simply feels better, even cleaner.

There are drawbacks, the main one being application. I have to remember to apply it before I put on a shirt with sleeves, and it's not just a quick swipe of a solid stick. I rub it in, like lotion. In addition, it's pretty firm in the jar, so if it's cold in the bathroom, it takes a little effort to scoop it out with my finger. That said, it's still totally worth it. I won't be going back to store-bought deodorant unless there's some sort of emergency.

I highly recommend that you try it.

1 comment:

ericagwen said...

This is great news! I was waiting to try it until I saw your review. I see some "subtle armpit sniffing" in my future : )