Saturday, January 02, 2010

I'm a Cliche

Today, the second day of January, I bought a workout DVD. I also bought boots (though I didn't pay nearly that amount for them, not even half that) because if there's one thing you can count on looking good even when you're not at your trimmest, it's shoes. Plus, that woman in the next aisle over said they were beautiful and confirmed that they would look good with skirts. And they do! They look so good that I can't even come down with a case of buyer's remorse and take them back. I kept the receipt, but they dial up the awesome on pretty much every piece of clothing I own except my abundant supply of wide leg trousers, so...no. They won't go back.

Before you start thinking that I've got some grand plans for the New Year and finally meeting weight loss or fitness goals, I must clarify that I'm perfectly happy with my usual size and shape and workout routine. I was just reeeeeally bored by the workout video I bought last January, and also the new video was on sale. And as far as not being my trimmest? Well, that's probably thanks to the latter part of December being filled with butter and heavy cream and lots of sitting around tables and in the car. I am relieved to get back to business as usual, complete with geriatric cereal and coffee at home and dinner that I cook myself out of things other than butter and heavy cream (for the most part, anyway).

A lot of bloggers do a roundup of the events of the past year, and I sort of missed out on that exercise. Not that it's entirely too late to do it now, but 2009 was like many years, good and bad and terrible and wonderful all rolled up into one package. It was a good year and a challenging year and a life-changing year in ways that may or may not be obvious to the rest of you. If I had to sum up, I'd say that 2009 was a year of self-discovery (please don't vomit, I couldn't think of another way to say it). And as with the rest of life, it's true that the more you learn, the less you know. I look forward to 2010 being a year of getting to know myself even better (I know, I know, vomit vomit vomit). The more I discover (and accept) about myself, the more gracious I find I am able to be towards others. And that is a good and wonderful thing.

I have a lot of hopes and dreams and plans for 2010. I've thrown them out there into the wind, but I'm keeping much of them to myself because I want to be okay with things as they happen. I'd like to graciously accept all that comes to pass in 2010. May it be a sweet and wonderful year for all.

No comments: