Thursday, January 21, 2010

Toast for Dinner!

After yesterday's post, I felt like I might need to clarify some things for those of you who might be jumping up and down at the prospect of eating what you want and losing weight by surprise. If you are not familiar with my style of eating, let's start with the fact that I no longer eat M&M's. With that information in hand, it won't surprise you to be informed that I buy only brown rice (never white), cook most things from scratch, use whole wheat pastry flour for all my baking, do not eat factory farmed animal products (meat, dairy, eggs, etc.), find fast food to be disgusting (after about a year not eating it, it all just tastes so salty), and generally try to avoid cooking using canned ingredients. All that to say that I'm starting with a pretty solid base, so even if I do indulge in some (fair trade, organic) chocolate chip cookies more often than most would advise, or put an all natural frozen pizza in the oven from time to time, it's not like the rest of my diet is filled with Doritos and Little Debbies and Whoppers. As indicated in the title, sometimes I have toast for dinner, smeared with organic butter and all fruit jam or homemade apple butter, but it's not from IronKids bread, it's from whole wheat bread I made from just seven (organic, fair trade, local) ingredients in my breadmaker. I think that eating real food makes all the difference, so I would never advise that someone eat what they want, when they want it, if they're not actually eating food. If the ingredient list is mostly unpronounceable, it's not real food.

I also would like to point out that while some of these changes were made for health reasons, they were largely made for reasons that are grander in scope, such as wanting to support local agriculture, end the contamination and erosion of our soil, and generally shove my middle finger squarely in the face of giants like Monsanto that trample on small farmers day in and day out in order to turn a profit. Having a reason other than eating healthy or losing weight makes it much easier to stick to eating well.

Which brings me to my larger philosophy, which is that eating should be about more than just measuring things out or saying that this food is good and that food is bad. In fact, I don't think it should be about those things at all. If what we are putting on our plates is all from good sources and is all, indeed, food, then it should be something to be enjoyed and celebrated, not obsessed over. My goal, more than anything, is to feed myself in a way that frees me from obsessing about calories and fat and portion size and thus allows me to enjoy and be grateful for the many good things that land on my plate.

That's what I'm shooting for. The weight loss is just a pleasant surprise.

1 comment:

A said...

I think you'd enjoy Steve Ettlinger's Twinkie, Deconstructed. I will never touch another Hostess product again (not that I have for years), and that wasn't even the author's intention.

Yay for nobler motives making healthy eating easier!