Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Do What You Can: Two Small Miracles

We're a little broke this month. I've got some aggressive financial goals related to adoption and the family life we hope to give Magnolia, which would have been just fine, but then we had some unexpected medical expenses and now, well, now we're scraping a little bit. It's not the end of the world, and things will be looking up in March, but for the next few weeks, the budget is a little bit squeaky. Of course there are a number of ways we can conserve our dollars, and I am not above robbing our jackelope bank and paying in change. There's one area, however, in which I refuse to skimp, and that's in generosity to others. Sure, we can't give to new charities or add big sums to our usual gifts, but I am of the opinion that when times are tight for us, it's even more important to keep giving to those who are less fortunate.

And so yesterday at the grocery, when I saw some extra things that Old Lady Mary would like, which would please her that I bought since they were on sale (her favorite kind of thing and mine), I bought them. When the total came up at the register, I breathed deeply and hung onto my belief that my giving would be provided for, and prayed a little prayer that went something like, "I could use a little help here; please let us not become overdrawn." I also held tightly to my belief that we should not use a credit card, no matter how dire the circumstances.

This morning, my husband sent me a text telling me that one of our medical co-pays had been billed incorrectly, and we were being given back $60. This is roughly twice the amount I spent on Mary's groceries yesterday, and enough to fill our car with gas, which we need within the next twenty-four hours.

...

Lately a dear friend of mine has been going through a rough time, and I wanted very much to be there for her in person, though she lives more than 1500 miles away. I asked my husband to scour our frequent flyer accounts for anything we'd missed and tried to rework my schedule, but it wasn't working out on either front for me to make it to her. That day, she called and said she wanted to come to Kansas City, and could she stay with us? We don't have any money, but we have a bedroom that isn't being used right now. I said yes, of course. Jarod's parents brought a futon, sheets, a comforter, and pillows over so she has a place to sleep. My mom delivered food items and a little bit of money so we can take her out for a nice meal.

We don't have much, but together we have everything we need.

That last part's true not just now, but always. I am grateful for the help, and grateful that we can give even when it seems like we cannot. I hope you feel this truth in your life, too.

No comments: