Monday, February 22, 2010

Make it Work Monday: Keep Your Shoes Tied

I currently have three pairs of sneakers in rotation for everyday wear, as they're cute and functional and less likely to slip on all this ice that seems to have descended on our street. One of my biggest pet peeves is having to tie and retie my laces, and I'm not particularly fond of having to double knot either, as it doesn't always keep them tied, and the bow looks crappy besides. (I realize not all of you care about how your shoelace bow looks, but ladies, how about bows you tie on apparel? This will work for that, too, and you'll end up with balanced bows that won't slip out.) Some time ago, I read about the Ian Knot in Runner's World. It took a bit for me to get it down, but now I can tie my shoes quicker than I ever did before, and they don't come untied unless A) I step on one of the laces, or B) a little person unties my shoes to be funny. I never, ever have to retie my shoes if neither of those scenarios occurs, and furthermore, all the bows I tie on my clothes now look balanced and straight without a lot of extra effort.

This very short video is the most pleasant of the Ian Knot lot; you may need to watch it several times to get it, but once you do, it will be a shoe-tying miracle.



If you're the sort that prefers diagrams to videos, clicking here will get you what you need.

It may take time to get the tension right; I did find that in the beginning I still needed to tie a conventional double knot on my running sneakers to have them tied tightly enough. Keep at it, though, and you'll never tie your shoes (or belts or whathaveyou) any other way again.

Well, unless you're strange and difficult. If that's the case, I cannot help you further.

No comments: