Thursday, February 11, 2010

A New Method of Water Conservation

I fear the Waldo rapist most when I am in the shower, with my face all lathered up so I can't open my eyes. If one of the cats makes a noise, it makes it worse. Of course it's unlikely that the door is unlocked, and that's how he's entered homes. He wasn't one to break and enter, just enter. As a matter of habit, I lock the door before I reach for the alarm panel to punch in the code. However, from time to time, I'll run a load of compost out to the backyard and have my hands so full of sticky containers that sat too long in the fridge that I'll fail to do more than shut the door with my hip. Or I'll be too intent on getting the groceries to the kitchen to set them down to lock up right away. Still, since he struck in our neighborhood, it's been rare that I don't think of the sketch posted all over our local utility poles and do a double check. And generally a double check is easy to do, but not when one is wet and naked with a face full of gentle facial cleanser, or even worse, a scrub that is nature's alternative to microdermabrasion. In those instances, I rinse as quickly as possible, shut the water off with haste, grab my robe, and bolt into the living room to make sure everything is still secure.

It always is.

No comments: