Saturday, March 13, 2010

Keep Believing

I'm still mulling over the changes in Ethiopian adoption law, that whole two trips instead of one deal. We are discussing a variety of options, and I will probably continue to talk about it and talk about it until we figure out what will work for us. Because so much of this is a financial issue for us, and because we've yet to observe any families going through the new process, a lot will remain unknown for quite some time. As I stated in my last post, in my dream world, I would be able to stay in Ethiopia between court and embassy dates. But a lot of things would have to fall into place for this to happen, and our agency does not recommend it besides. The length of time that I would need to stay would be unpredictable. If we pass court on the first go, it looks like it would be about a month, maybe six weeks between the two dates, but there are a number of things that could go awry and that have, in fact, gone awry for adopting families in the past. So there's that.

But I still want to do it.

I'm just sayin'.

Not that I will, but I won't count it out as a possibility just yet.

(I am a fan of stupid ideas. This is perfect for me!)

Either way, the process has gotten a lot more expensive, as in four thousand dollars more expensive. But we are not dismayed by this so much as we look at it as a problem to be solved. I know a lot of families have been completely undone by this news, but for us, well, let's just face it: we're sort of going out on a limb to believe we can afford this at all. When we're looking at figuring out where more than $20,000 will come from already, adding 20% more to it just doesn't seem like that much of a stretch. I mean, we were already believing the impossible. Why not just keep believing?

2 comments:

cara said...

Wowsers! That is some bummer news, but I find your attitude towards it so refreshing and positive, Mary. I'm believing with you guys!

Laura said...

Is that really how much it costs for the adoption process? My fiance and I cannot have kids and so we will probably adopt when the time comes. I knew it was expensive but not even ball park figures. You guys will make it work out some how! And I'm sorry to hear about the added trip there.