Sunday, June 20, 2010

GREEDY!

Once we saw our daughter's face, I knew that we would have to change a lot of things thanks to her being three instead of, you know, an infant. Her room will be a bit different (we're making her a bed!) (and by "we," I mean Jarod and his dad are making her a bed!), and some of the clothes I bought in advance won't fit (though not many since she is a tiny bit of a girl), and a LOT of the things on our Amazon baby registry are different. Out with the bottles, diapers, and accompanying accessories, in with the...well...toys. I know. I feel a little grabby putting so many toys on the registry, but the truth is that where most kids would have three years worth of birthdays and Christmases and other assorted holidays to amass age appropriate toys, she's had no time to do that. So we're starting from scratch. Well, unless you count all my stuffed animals and Jarod's legos that we have in the basement, which...we kind of do. By which I mean that once I'd gone through my bin of childhood toys, I went back to the registry and took the corduroy aardvark and Deglingos stuffed pig off the list.

I've tried to choose things that are developmentally appropriate and that will help us bond as a family. I've also put serious thought into what will help her catch up in some areas where it is likely she'll need a little extra help. There are no toys that require batteries, nothing that will do the playing and imagining for her with the press of a button. Also, because we are hippies, the plastic is limited to bath toys and an inflatable Rody horse, which, in addition to being incredibly cute, will also promote gross motor development. (Do you like how I justified our plastic item there? I'm pretty good at that.) I feel like I've done a good job, but at the same time, filling a list with toys and books just seems greedy.

I'm really hoping that, especially in the case of the play kitchen, someone will disagree with me and think it's perfectly fine. If, however, no one sees why a three-year-old might benefit from playing with various wooden foods that velcro together and can be cut apart with a fake knife, that's all right. After all, we really do need the sheets and shampoo.

2 comments:

Liz said...

You might find you still need some of those more baby-ish things. Elfe turned out not to need the diapers/pull-ups that I bought just in case she wasn't toilet-trained, but I know other toddlers who either weren't trained or regressed once they came home. And Elfe regressed in other ways after we had been home a couple of months - wanted me to feed her from a bottle, wanted a pacifier, that kind of thing. She wanted to be independent in the beginning, but once she started to feel attached, she wanted me to baby her the way she saw younger kids being babied.

marymuses said...

Thanks, Liz! I figured this might be true, but also that I wouldn't need as many of those things even if it were true. How many bottles did you use? Were you able to make it work with just one or two? And is she still needing to use those from time to time at this point?

I'll probably be asking you a LOT of questions in weeks to come since Elfe is in the same age range as our girl. Thank you for chiming in!