Monday, June 28, 2010

I Am That Woman

Life has been moving at breakneck speed ever since we saw the face of our daughter. If it had just been the news of her, that would have been one thing, but I think life likes to throw a lot of things at me at one time and go, "What are you going to do now?" The answer is that I'm going to stay up until nearly 2am four nights in a row and then need a really long nap. I haven't gotten the really long nap yet, but I did get a medium long nap, and that will have to do.

I remember when I was on Christian mission trips in high school, we had separate classes for guys and girls that covered issues specific to each gender. Every single trip I went on, the lesson book was the same, so there was always the night we would discuss The Proverbs 31 Woman, and how she is the Best Woman Ever. There was a clever updated version that talked about how the Proverbs 31 Woman clipped coupons and did laundry in her washing machine and, I don't know, made Jell-O molds or something. I always sort of resented the Proverbs 31 Woman until I realized that a great many women become her without noticing. It's not about all those specifics or cutesy analogies. It's just about doing what you have to do to take care of your family and community. So that's what I've been doing. And that feels good.

I've also been pretending that The Proverbs 31 Woman would leave her dishes in the sink, "soaking," for five days straight. Please do not feel free to tell me otherwise.

No comments: