Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig

The week away was wonderful, albeit busy. It was good to see the kids one last time before I'll have a child of my own in tow, and fantastic as well to scamper around New York City unhindered by anyone except the groups of tourists that like to stop suddenly in the middle of the sidewalk when they are confused. The Picasso exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art was even better than I'd hoped it would be, and the lunch that followed in the cafeteria made the visit there the highlight of my NYC wanderings.

I find it difficult to explain just what it meant to me to be able to make one last trip to see these kids all on my own. When your job is to love someone, it goes beyond the paid working term, you know? And for these kids in particular, who had too many nannies that were wonderful but didn't keep in touch, I've felt strongly that it's important that I maintain a relationship regardless of what else is going on in life. I plan to visit again next year with my daughter along, but it won't be so easy to just hang out. It was good to be there for the week.

Now it's back to normal life. The house is a bit of a wreck, and I know I need to pay bills and do laundry. I head back to work tomorrow morning and have an evening job as well. Nothing like a work double header to get back into the swing of things, right?

For now, I'm going to put on my pajamas and watch something fun on the internet. Today's 5:30am wakeup call necessitates an early bedtime (or else I'll just slump over the desk here and start drooling on the keyboard), and I've been missing my very own pillow. I hope your week has been a good one. Thanks for standing by.

No comments: