Saturday, July 17, 2010

Planning Ahead

Somewhere on the iPhone that's somewhere in this house, I have a photo of what I wore for Old Lady Mary this week. I'd get up and find it, but I am enjoying this chair, thanks. More specifically, I am enjoying the brief moment of feeling justified in sitting in this chair. Most of the time I cannot escape the thought of so much to do, must do something! and even if I'm tired, I just can't sit still. So for ten more minutes, I am just sitting here. Then I'm getting a two-and-a-half-year-old up from her nap, giving her a snack, and carting her off to Home Depot. Oh, the joy of life! Home Depot!

But here's what's important in all this: we got a court date. It's September 29. Not as soon as we'd hoped, but quite soon after the Ethiopian courts reopen post rainy season, so we'll take it. Between now and then, there's a lot of work to do. I figured that if we got an August court date and I somehow ended up staying in country until the embassy date, we'd just figure out where to go from there in terms of projects that really should be complete before we bring home our daughter. But now we've got a little over two months, and heaven help me if we do not get all the crap out of the basement in particular and the house in general before our flight departs September 25.

This may seem silly to some of you, worrying about junk in the basement (and garage and various closets), but the path our life is taking will likely lead somewhere basementless in the not too distant future, and I think we can all agree that it will be far easier to haul things out to a dumpster when it's just me as opposed to me plus a three-year-old who speaks very limited English. And it needs to be done besides. We've needed to do it ever since we got married and I moved my full household's worth of crap in with Jarod's full household's worth of crap, and especially since we remodeled the kitchen and much of the bathroom. When you can't park your car in your garage and there are items in your basement you haven't touched for the entire length of your marriage, it's just time.

And besides, it will keep my mind and hands busy while I wait for our daughter, which is a good thing on many counts, including the needing-my-pants-to-still-fit count. Baby weight isn't just for pregnant women, it turns out.

And with that, I'll rise from this chair and do something useful.

No comments: