Saturday, August 14, 2010

Wish

Today I bought a plain sterling ring to wear as my wedding ring when I am in Ethiopia. It's not about being worried about losing it because it's expensive, not that I don't want to avoid being a target of petty thieves, but more about not wanting to be a rich American showoff. I also bought a pair of jeans so that I have two pairs that are not skinny jeans. I really wanted wide leg jeans, but these boot cuts were just $6.24, and I can't justify spending more based on personal preference. To be honest, we really can't afford to spend more anyway. Not now. Not for awhile. And so I have a wish list of things that I pretend someone will want to get me for Christmas or my birthday or just as a happy surprise (you know, because that happens so often). It helps me let go. You can laugh about that if you want. Here's what's on it:



This Starburst Necklace from Superhero Designs. Of all the things I want to carry to Ethiopia, joy is at the top of the list. This would be a meaningful reminder.



This skirt from Boden. I usually order something in the fall, when they are offering 20% off and free shipping, plus I can use the credits I've gotten from giving them names and addresses of friends and loved ones. It's usually a skirt. Often, it's one of their fun skirts. So it's no surprise that I'm drawn to this one..



And finally, this light from Etsy. I was pretending that I wanted it for the nursery, but really I want it for the living room.

So there you have it. The wish list. It's possible, as with all wishes, that some will be fulfilled, but I'm not holding my breath. After all, my dearest wish has nothing to do with things I can purchase on the internet. I think you can guess what it is. It's the wish for which we give up all other wishes. And it's worth it.

She's worth it.

No comments: