Wednesday, December 01, 2010

This Tuesday With Old Lady Mary

The following photo illustrates A) how adorable my daughter is every single moment of the day, and B) what your hair will look like if you sleep on it wet and don't move all night, then attack it with a flatiron. Yes, the flatiron won't help me now. It's all over.

tuesday, november 30, 2010

As usual, click on the pic for more details of this Tuesday's outfits and OLM's reactions.

I wore that skirt all day, even though it's a touch uncomfortable while sitting. I guess it kept me from sitting. Also keeping me from sitting: laundry, dishes, general housewifery. Not that I'd ever seriously refer to myself as a housewife. Sure, I'm a wife, and I am the one who takes care of our house, but there's a lot more to what I do than just housework.

For example, I also like to daydream about basement shelving.

Oh, wait. Crap. Now I'm a stereotype.

Seriously, though, I never feel like the word housewife sounds like me. Taking care of our house and our daughter is very much a creative pursuit for me, and I would hardly relegate it to just the humdrum of life. (Not that there's not plenty of humdrum in there, but isn't that true of everyone's life and work?) It's satisfying to me. I like it. And that's good enough, is it not? I'm pretty sure that it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on "housewife"... I don't know if it's the way it sounds, or connotation, or what... So I looked it up on thesaurus.com to see if there is a better word... and there are a few! I personally like "homemaker" the best. It connotes more warmth and love, without being precocious (home engineer???) or silly. And, homemaker seems to suit you!

Main Entry: housewife
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: wife
Synonyms: family manager, home economist, home engineer, homemaker, lady of the house, mistress of the house, wife and mother

Your friend,
Sarah