Wednesday, January 19, 2011

We Interrupt This Laundry Folding Session for..Nothing, Actually

You know you love leggings under dresses too much when you figure out that your party clothes are more comfortable than your regular clothes. It may look like I'm going to a small birthday gathering or somesuch later this evening, but really I'm just doing the laundry. I somehow stocked my closet with trousers that are fine but not super comfortable (except for the single pair of skinny jeans that I wore four days in a row and finally had to wash) and leggings that go under slightly fancy dresses. I'm still a bit, um, softer than usual thanks to my adoption-related weight gain (not that there's anything wrong with that), so if I'm looking to be comfortable, guess what I pick to wear? I guess it's good that I know how to spot clean silk.

Which brings me (sort of) to the point I'm about to make, or the announcement, or something, since announcement sounds like it's going to be exciting. It's not. But still.

I ordered a new workout video today.

Yes, that's it. I know, I know, just try to contain your excitement while I make this one point that I sat down at my computer to make.

Here is why I did it: negative body talk in all of my workout videos. As much as I love taking up Zinashi's entire naptime trying to fit in a workout and shower instead of taking a few moments to relax, I've found that I really would prefer to work out while she is awake. She'll think it's funny, and I'll have more time to sit on my butt in front of the internet do household tasks while she sleeps. But I don't want to subject her to talk about getting rid of parts of me that I supposedly hate or doing hard work to get perfect abs or any of that nonsense. There is nothing wrong with my body now except that it's not at the size that indicates I'm living my life in a healthy way. There is nothing wrong with the little pooch of my tummy or my butt not being perfect or anything else of that nature. Women were made a little soft. Get over it, six pack abs people. I don't want my daughter growing up thinking she needs to look a certain way to be considered beautiful or fit or worthy of attention, so I'm not going to let her hear those messages from my workouts.

To that end, I've ordered the Tracy Anderson Dance Cardio DVD. I'm really not sure what Tracy says about anything on the video, but I do know that all the reviews point to a "lack of cueing," which means she doesn't talk a lot. It's also a workout that, once I learn the dances (which, let's face it, for someone as uncoordinated as me, it might take awhile), I can put to my own music if I want and completely turn off any sound should Tracy decide to encourage me to have a "perfect" body. So we'll see how it goes. I like a little workout mixup every so often, and Zinashi thinks it's hilarious when I try to do a choreographed dance routine, so I'm pretty sure it will be a hit. Tracy Anderson is Gwyneth Paltrow's trainer as well as Madonna's, so I've promised Jarod that I won't get all waify like Gwyneth or ropey like Madonna. Let's hope that works out because I don't find either look to be particularly attractive. I just want to be able to wear normal pants comfortably while doing the laundry. The party look should be saved for another day; spot cleaning silk is bound to get really old really fast.

2 comments:

white girl said...

I think it's great that you will do your workout while Zinashi is awake. It's great modeling for healthy habits. I remember when Charlie was little and I switched my routine to doing my workout while he was awake, and he would LAUGH so much. He loved it! I think that Zinashi seeing her mama exercising won't communicate that mama's body isn't good enough, but that mama is worth being healthy, and in that vein, so is Zinashi.

Now... I should do some workouts of my own. I accidently hit the neighbour kid into the door frame the other day with my bubble butt.

white girl said...

hey I nominated you for an award! Check out my blog for details.