Monday, March 28, 2011

Another Post Proving That I'm Becoming a Boring Old Lady

I may be having a little too much fun getting rid of all our stuff. Or is that even possible, to have too much fun cleaning out and organizing? Every time I take another load to Goodwill or put things in the garage for an upcoming garage sale, I feel lighter. Yesterday we skipped church for a little photo shoot (mostly Zinashi, with some family shots), and when we got home, Jarod took charge of most Zinashi-related stuff so I could go to the grocery and work on things at home. It is slightly embarrassing how much joy I got out of emptying all the old herbs and spices out of the spice rack in preparation for selling it. Maybe you use all the spices in your spice rack, but I do not, and there are not jars for some of the things that I do use regularly (cardamom, for instance, and ginger).

I'm also very nearly done (finally!) with figuring out where to put all the stuff that fit on this desk system when we traded it out for a smaller desk. We've gotten rid of a lot of stuff. There's still some filing to be done, and a few items that got lost in the post-Ethiopia shuffle to attend to, but I am mostly done. And that feels really fantastic. Up next? The basement. The goal is to only have down there what could be stored in a small apartment storage locker, as that is likely to be our reality when we make a move. Ideally, I'd love for everything to fit on our main floor, but I figure that as long as we have the basement to use, we don't need to be doing closet Tetris every time we want to do a craft project or locate holiday decorations.

Getting our house ready for sale is going more slowly than I'd hoped, but I just keep reminding myself that everything will get done in the time it was meant to be done, so long as we keep plugging away at it. When I really don't feel like filing, or the basement seems too cold to bother with, I keep this in mind. Things will work out, but I still have to work at it. Or they won't. I hope that makes sense to someone other than me, or else I'm just blathering on here like an idiot.

Oh, wait.

No comments: