Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Three Things, Mostly Unrelated

1. Today I got a lot done. For the first laundry day since what seems like the beginning of time, I got all the laundry done and folded and put away. I got through a few extra little projects. Zinashi and I took a long walk. I showered. I don't remember what else. But I do know that I was in my pajamas until 2:15pm, and this seems to be a predictor of success. If I've had to get dressed and get out of the house, there's usually a crash late morning, a struggle to put lunch on the table, a nodding of my head as I attempt to stay awake while Zinashi is very successfully avoiding sleep at naptime. It's like I've used up all my steam before 11am. With the absence of coffee, it is often even harder to revive than usual. I hereby resolve to figure out how to stay in my pajamas more days of the week.

2. I cooked a good vegan thing tonight (another accomplishment!). Perhaps you'd like to hear about it? Because maybe you'd like to make it? The key ingredient is something I wouldn't usually buy, jarred madras sauce, which I had a coupon for (Whole Foods shoppers, take note), and I thought, "Eh, why not?" Turns out it's delicious. So, the recipe:

1 jar Seeds of Change Madras Simmer Sauce
1 can coconut milk
1 small can tomato paste
2.5 lbs. potatoes
1 medium onion
3/4 cup red lentils
minced garlic, however much you like--we like a lot

Chop onion and saute in a bit of oil (organic safflower is my current favorite) until onion is soft and starting to brown a bit. While onion is sauteing, peel and cut up your potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Before you're done with the potatoes, your onions will be all set and ready for the next step; in between your potato peeling and chopping, add lentils and enough water to cover. Allow to boil/simmer while you finish with the potatoes, adding a bit more water as necessary to keep the lentils/onions/garlic barely covered. Add potatoes to the pot, adding just enough water to cover them; if some corners of potato are sticking up, that's okay--you don't need a ton of water. Stir in the simmer sauce, coconut milk, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a little more than a simmer (to medium-ish). Cook until potatoes and lentils are tender. Serve over brown rice. Easy and delish!

I have no idea what to call it, so make up your own name for it. This recipe makes enough to serve a large family, which means that for us, there's enough for Jarod to take to work the next day, some to save for leftover night, and a nice portion to freeze.

3. I think a lot about diet and exercise and the pressure to be thin. Admittedly, I also think a lot about how I'd like to be a touch thinner. Which is ridiculous but true. I think it's hard to a woman in America and not feel like the body is a thing to be shaped and formed into something better than it already is. I wish I could do better at making my peace with this; it may be something I never figure out. How can I, when our culture is so imbued with references to the perfect body and pushing harder and fighting against fat? While in the meantime, the majority of us are overweight or obese, and it's a health issue, not a perfect body issue. I find this to be endlessly frustrating--that we are hit with a barrage of beauty and body standards while at the same time being inundated with enticements to eat things that simply aren't meant to be eaten, or at least not eaten very much. Again, as a health issue, not a perfect body issue. Are we really so daft as to believe both that we must pursue six pack abs AND eat a sandwich made of fried meat, devoid of a bun? I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess I just want some levity. And that's one thing I'm hoping to get out of Lent. Maybe it's not very holy, but then again, maybe it is. I'd like to respect the body I've been given by treating it well, but not making it the whole focus of my life. I have a lot to say about this, it turns out. I guess I should make this a whole other post. But I'll save that for later. Because it's midnight, and I DO have to leave my house in the morning. (Drat.)

1 comment:

Liz said...

Who knew that you could be more productive by staying in your pajamas later? Seems counterintuitive!

Hope you achieve a satisfactory level of productivity today...